An interview with the Iranian president was cut short after Christiane Amanpour refused to wear a headscarf

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi did not show up for his first interview on US soil after CNN’s Christiane Amanpour politely declined his request to wear a headscarf, a reporter said on Twitter. thread on Thursday.

“After weeks of planning and eight hours of setting up translation equipment, lights and cameras, we were ready. But there was no sign of President Rais,” explained Amanpour. “40 minutes after the start of the interview, an aide came. According to him, the president advised me to wear a headscarf because now are the holy months of Muharram and Safari.”

Although Amanpour has previously worn headscarves during interviews in other countries, such as Iran or Afghanistan, she noted that she would not wear a headscarf in a country where it is not required. CBS News Correspondent Lesley Stahl interviewed Raisi last week “60 Minutes” before the death in custody and the protests that followed. The interview took place in Tehran, the capital of Iran, and Stahl wore a headscarf.

“We are in New York, where there is no law or tradition when it comes to headscarves,” the journalist wrote. “I pointed out that no previous Iranian president has ever asked for that when I’ve interviewed them outside of Iran.”

According to Amanpour, he had been informed of Rais’s demand by an aide “widespread protests were hinted at“A woman has died in police custody in Iran right now after she was arrested by the morality police for not covering her hair completely with her hijab.

“And so we walked away,” Amanpour tweeted. “The interview did not take place. As protests continue and people are being killed in Iran, it would have been an important moment to talk to President Rais.”

Under Iranian law, women must follow a specific dress code based on the country’s interpretation of Sharia. This includes wearing a hijab to cover your hair, as well as wearing loose-fitting clothes to hide your figure, the BBC reports.

Last week, 22-year-old Mahsa Amini from Kurdistan visited Tehran when he was arrested by the morality police for not following the head covering rule. He died while in custody.

Amini died due to medical conditions, police said, saying he suffered a heart attack. Amin’s family denied he had any health problems, and critics and eyewitnesses denied it claimed that the woman was beaten in a police van before falling into a coma.

Since the incident, protests have erupted across Iran in response to Amin’s death. Many women are public burning their hijabs and cutting their hair in solidarity with Amin. At least 17 people have been killed in the protests and internet connection has been cut in many parts of the country.